Re: diagnostic socket

The diagnostic socket is a convenient place to monitor the Lambda
system. Outside of that you can get any signals you need from other,
better places. The timing pick-up isn't really needed as any timing
light you get will not need it. This was probably intended as a "one
stop shopping" spot with a dedicated piece of equipment to monitor the
engine and electrical system but if you have individual pieces of test
equipment the plug isn't used. It was meant to save time hooking up to
the car. I think the same applies to the plug used on the automatic
transmission shift computer. I do think you could build a piece of
equipment to use the plug but it would probably be easier to just
build a harness and attach all of your tools to it. I think ALL of the
Deloreans came with the plug early and late. On many cars that had the
transmission removed they never replaced the timing pick-up anyway.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757