Re: [DML] DeLorean keyed

john fredt wrote:

> I live in a city where people often key cars for no reason other than they can.What repair will I be able to do if someone keys my D in a parking lot?Will it buff out easily or not?

There's no certain answer to that question. My experience is that when someone keys a car they usually do it quickly, using light pressure. You can remove that sort of light scratch
from a DeLorean in a few minutes with a Scotchbright pad.

But if the vandal anticipates this, he could press hard and make a pretty deep gouge. This damage would be more serious. However, keys are made of softer metal than DeLoreans. You'd
have the satisfaction of knowing that the vandal probably ruined his key. Tell the police to look for the punk who is locked out of his car.

If the vandal uses a knife or screwdriver, then he could make a nasty scratch. But it would take a very knowledgeble and determined vandal to do that.

Still, no car is more impervious to vandalism from keys, spray paint, etc. than a DeLorean. I don't care if you've got a Hummer, or a Ferrari, or an M-1 Abrahams Main Battle Tank . . .
only the DeLorean can be cleaned with a Scotchbright pad, acetone, mineral spirits, and turpentine!

(Warning: I haven't actually tried it myself, but I've heard that all of these non-halgenated solvents are safe for stainless. If someone knows better please say so. Under all
circumstances, keep solvents away from non-stainless parts of your DeLorean!)

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, clean and beautiful for almost 9 years!