Re: RPM relay

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 20:07:11 EST, Heydudetoo@xxxx wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what picks the RPM relay? I understand
> what keeps it picked, I just cannot find what picks it.

The RPM relay "picks" as you say on the signal from the distributor
pulse coil. If this signal is not there, your tachometer will not
work either as it uses the same signal.

> The reason I ask is mine will not pick, but if I help it to pick
> it will stay picked and the car runs fine.

The little relay inside is probably worn out; I had the same on mine.
Instead of replacing the entire (expensive) unit, I went looking
for a replacement relay, but couldn't find anything that would fit.
So I made an external relay: <http://members.home.nl/delorean/rpm/>

When you decide to do this too, make sure you put in a bridge between
the point where the relay was. You can see it in one of my pictures;
it's a grey wire. The blue ones feed the coil, the green ones switch
the pump and Frequency Valve thingy...

Hope this helps,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...