Re: [DML] Hand Built DeLoreans

( modertors note: It's fun to speculate but we're begining to come around full circle with some of the posts, not this one, and it's begining to dominate the list. I'm going to kill the subject for now unless there is specific information aout this happening. Right now it's based on nothing more than daydreams. )

The manufacturing if the underbody molds is no problem at all. 4 molds in
total are required to comprise the two sets: Top and Bottom.

The manufacturing process is just as simple. Drop some sheets of fiberglass,
and some foam for the structural beams, pump in resein, and apply a vacuum.
Next, pop out both molds, slap on some adhesive and staples, and let the
newly formed shell cure. Once done curing, cut out the windscreen and other
sections, and you've got a brand-new underbody ready to bolt onto a rolling
chassis! This is the exact same process that Lotus uses, except that they
would then primer and paint the car, where as a DMC-12 would simply have
its doors attached, and then the body panels mounted and aligned. Plus,
Lotus doesn't sell that many new Esprits either, and they can afford the molds.

The process at the factory was not so much different, as it was slightly
modified. But, that is because they were intended to be produced in a much
larger amount at a time. Differences in the process were running the
underbodies thru an oven in order to speed up the curing process, and
automated, high-pressure water jets that would cut out the nessisary panels
automaticly, and quickly.

The question though is wheather or not DMCH would need permission to
make these molds using this technology. Originally, GRP (Glass Reinforeced
Plastic) was the intended process/composite that was intended to make up
the underbody. However, GRP had not yet been used in an automotive
application, and was understanbly dropped in favor for VIRM (Vaccum
Injection Reservior Moulding) developed by Lotus Cars Ltd. If I'm wrong, then
someone please correct me on this, but as I read it, part of the engineering
fees paid out to Lotus also comprised of a license for use of the VIRM
technology. GRP was also licensed, and in the bankruptcy, I believe it's usage
license was sold off (there is a footnote that states the purchaser had applied
it to some other application, and was turning sales of $50M+). So my question
is what would have become of the VIRM liciense, and could it's effect possibly
hinder the development of the new car?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"