Re: Red-glowing cat!

This post is "dead on" about how your converter started glowing. If
you didn't drive it too much and distort the converter it should be
OK. What causes them to go bad is that the bed of platinum inside gets
so distorted that the gases leak around it. The other problem is that
if too much raw hydocarbons get into the converter, especially when
cold, they don't burn completly and "soot up" the converter plugging
it up. Replace the ignition wires immediatly and you should be
alright. If that doesn't work you may also have to replace the
distributer cap and rotor. A bad fuel injector can also cause this but
since you say it happened right after having the car washed it is more
likely to be an ignition problem.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757