Take Heart! Slow Corrosion in Salt Water

Take Heart! Slow Corrosion in Salt Water

***** Moderator's Note *****
As a previous post indicated, there is a lot of information regarding
the body dies in the archives. At the time of that discussion, it was
observed that a salvage recovery of the dies was really not economically
feasible due to the damage sustained by the dies over two decades
under water, the lack of demand for newly-manufactured parts,
and the oversupply of current new and used part inventories.
Unless someone actually brings one of the dies up from the
deep, please consider this discussion closed.

Mike G Moderator of the week
*****

"Brine and sea water corrode steel at a slow rate, and the metal can be used
where iron contamination is not objectionable."

This is a direct quote from: "Perry's Chemical Engineers' Handbook" Fourth
Edition. It is known as the Chemical Engineering "bible".

Other facts - 1. Corrosion/rust decreases with decreasing temperature. 2.
Also from Perry's: General corrosion in sea water, (static or slow moving)
for iron and steel is rated 4 on a 0-6 scale. 4 is good, 6 is "normally
excellent", 0 is Unsuitable. The rating refers to the materials corrosion
performance in sea water.

Bob Hlavacek
MS ChE 10961