Re: HT Lead question

James - The normal reason why there would be a braided steel sleeve
over a coil wire, or other HT lead, would be for shielding to prevent
EMI in the radio. This basically turns the HT lead into a coaxial
cable similar to television cable. (BTW : EMI = Electro-Magnetic
Interference). If the new wires were manufactured with proper
internal shielding, the extra sleeve is not required. I personally
use plug and coil wires that have a multi-strand metallic core for the
primary conductor (no resistance at all), and then they have a braided
stainless steel sleeve surrounding an insulation layer to provide the
EMI protection. "Radio Suppression Wire" uses a composite conductor
with some natural resistance to provide the EMI protection. I never
liked the idea of thousands of ohms of resistance in a spark plug
wire.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1