Re: clutch

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Darkstar" <darkstarmedia@xxxx> wrote:
> well there is funny noises comming from the clutch area and follow
clutch
> application and engine rpm so i am going to do a clutch job. but
first
> things first... is it easier to pull the rear facia and rear
fenders and
> pull the whole engine/tranny or pull the tranny on jackstands.
<SNIP>

It's not nessisary to pull the engine, just drop the tranny. I've
never done it myself, but I have seen it done when my car was in the
shop. Disconnected the linkage, the CV's, the slave cylinder, and
unbolted the motor & mounts. Lift up, slide forward past the tranny
mounts, and drop. BUT, after seeing what needed to be done, I
wouldn't attempt a clutch replacement without the car on a lift, and
a transmission jack.

The whole job took 4 hours to drop/replace the tranny, resurface the
flywheel, adjust the shift linkage, install slave clutch, bleed the
system, and test drive. Of course though, there were 4 experienced
DeLorean mechanics working on my car @ the same time. Not a job for
the faint of heart, or inexperienced mechanic.

<SNIP>...while I do buy from the dealers and use services of the
dealers
> (mainly DMCH) i am in a position of looking for a clutch kit
elsewhere due
> to cost.
<SNIP>
does anyone know if there is an application out
> there that will crossover. i'd rather not buy bits and pieces. I
relize i
> might have to buy the pilot bushing/bearing outta the kit. or if
no one
> knows of a kit then bits and pieces will do. I prefer zeeter parts
and
> don't fully like centerforce but if that's what you got...
<SNIP>

Bite the bullet, and just order the entire kit. While you're at it,
also replace the Clutch M/C, S/C, and hydraulic line if you've not
already done so. I tried to buy a little here, and buy a little
there, and the results were a disaster to my wallet. My new cluch
died a couple of months later, and I had to replace it again. If
something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

There isn't a single thing wrong with the Centerforce kit. Nor is
there with the OEM kit that Houston has. In fact, with the exception
of the clutch wieghts, they're both the same. Both clutch kits are
made by Valeo. Unless they've changed though, I don't believe the the
OEM kit from DMCH comes with the pilot bearing. The Centerforce one
from PJ Grady did.

No matter what though, make sure that you follow PJ Grady's advise,
and lube the fork with a 50/50 mix of grease & anti-sieze compound.
Otherwise the resulting squeek is quite annoying!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"