Re: [DML] Digest Number 1193

On 11-09-2002, "Nick Kemp" <nkemp@xxxx> wrote:

> A long time back, I recall a discussion about unstable speedometer
> readings caused by one of the cables going into the counter not
> making a good connection. Thus the drive slips. I also recall
> the drive cable being too short.

In my experience (and I have plenty with 5 breakdowns within a year)
the "bobbing" is most likely caused by either the drive cap slipping
or a cable not snugly fit into the square reciever.
If it's the drivecap that's slipping, wrap the edge that slips
into the hub with electrical tape onece or twice.
If the square hole in the drive cap is worn replace the cap.
The cable coming out of the AngleDrive going through the axle
tends to be too LONG, not too short. This is easily solved by
carefully cutting the tip of the drive cap. seal it when in place
with a small dab of RTV or another bit of electrical tape.
If the cable has broken/frayed (like mine had) it CAN be replaced;
mine has been replaced with a new cable, tinned all over to prevent
it from fraying again. Cost me about $50,- Turned out the square at
the end was a bit too small, so I made the hole in the drive cap
smaller using a small piece of sheet-copper on two sides of the
hole. That made the 0.5mm difference I needed.

If the lower cable slips in the AD the cable's square is
probably worn, best to replace the cable.

After doing all of the above and after spending around $600 on
repairs and replacement parts (some I needed because of my own faults)
I can finally say that I've had a reliable speedo for over 2000 miles
since the last time the thing gave me trouble.

Hope it stays this way, MTBF used to be less than 1000 miles.
Good luck, mail me if you need to know specifics,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000