Re: Idle speed

With all of the confusion about the starting and idle speed circuits
the first place to go is the Workshop Manual which every owner should
have. Some of the easier things to check are the following:
Find and fix any and ALL vacuum leaks including a hissing mode switch.
Lightly seat closed the 3 brass adjusting screws on the air intake.
Verify that the throttle is closing all the way and contacting the
idle switch micro.
Get a meter on the idle micro and make sure it conducts when the
throttle is at idle.
Make sure there is a plug over the mixture screw on the metering unit.
If the motor hasn't had a tune-up in a long time when you finally get
the idle down it will probably run rough which is why the idle has ben
"bumped up". After a thourgh tune-up and cleaning-testing of the fuel
injectors it should run smooth. You could also have a faulty contol
pressure regulater, thermo switch, problem in the vacuum circuit for
the vacuum advance etc. There are just a lot of things that can affect
the idle speed and quality including timming and air-fuel ratio.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757