Re: Hoping to purchase my first DeLorean, but need some insight

Re: Hoping to purchase my first DeLorean, but need some insight

You're going to get a thousand replies to this one...

> I'm no mechanic and I've never torn down or rebuilt an engine, but I
> used to own an older Chevy which needed attention quite a bit... so I'm
> used to reading manuals and fixing stuff myself. If I purchase a
> DeLorean that needed some engine work, but had a sound engine, could I
> work on this myself and get parts easily from my local hardware store or
> online? Also, are there sufficient manuals and books to help with this?

This applies to any older car, not just DeLoreans: SOME mechanical
aptitude is absolutely necessary. Shop labor rates will break the
bank. The gorillas that populate the auto repair industry often do
more harm than good. Of course some things will need to be farmed out,
but the more you can do yourself: the cheaper it will be, the more
likely it will be done correctly, and the more satisfied you will be
with the car in general.

Not much of anything for a D is available in a junkyard. Most engine
consumables (ignition, hoses, etc) are cross referenceable at parts
houses. The esoteric stuff is widely available from DeLorean vendors.
Browse their websites -- you'll be amazed at what's out there (I've
found their prices on SOME consumables to be competitive too)

> I've read that there were many factory defects with the DeLorean, most
> notably the fiberglass under the stainless steel breaking and the
> electrical system flaking out. Are there any issues like this I should
> be aware of or ways to fix them?

Every car ever built has designed in defects. The DeLorean has more
than my beloved Lincolns, but it also never had the benefit of a 10
year production run. None of these defects can not be overcome.
Approached in a proper frame of mind, engineering their solution is
actually rather fun. Debugging a car is also one of the best ways to
familiarize yourself with it intimately (that knowledge is invaluable
when something goes wrong -- and it will), and it has the very real
potential of permanently endearing the vehicle to you forever.

I've never heard of a pontoon just breaking without provocation (I
hope not -- that's the only thing holding me off the pavement).

> Finally, the way the body is setup, how hard is it to repair dents or
> dings? I know I couldn't easily replace a bumper if someone backed into
> me or bondo/repaint the door if someone gives me a major ding. What are
> my options here?

This is why they taught you defensive driving in driver's ed.
Stainless steel can be reworked (look at Amtrak) depending on the
nature of impact, but it's a specialized skill. Just about every body
component EXCEPT the pontoon itself can be replaced from one D vendor
or another -- for a price. Bottom line: watch out for the other
drivers, don't park in vehicular mosh pits (leave the D at home during
XMas shopping), but don't hide the thing away never to be driven.
That's a fate worse than chancing a "major ding."

> With this said, let me give my goals. If I find a good DeLorean and
> rebuild it, it won't be a daily driver. I want to take it to shows,
> drive around town from time to time, and just have because they're just
> so dang cool :)

Don't buy a D just because they're cool (they are). Buy one because it
represents an important piece of auto history worth preserving. Buy
one because they really are well designed and constructed cars capable
of 100,000's of miles. Buy one because they handle like tenacious
little sleds on rails.

BTW: if you only drive the car "from time to time," it may give you
nothing but trouble. Sitting idle spells "death" for a car, and
DeLoreans seem especially susceptible. Once a car is debugged and in
service, it desperately needs regular exercise.

Just some thoughts from a man with 7 cars in his driveway (all
running, thank you very much -- even the constipated D), the most
RECENT of which is a 1981 DeLorean.

Bill Robertson