Re: Water pump woes?

IMHO what starts this sequence of events are small leaks on top of the
motor from the distribution pipe and-or the hoses off the back of the
water pump. When the owner eventually lets the level get too low air
gets into the system and is never properly bled out. The way to avoid
this is to replace all hoses and seals. The continuous bleeder is a
good idea but really isn't required on a car that has a tight system
with no leaks. It can be done but it requires a lot of work to make
the system completly tight. Another little thing I have done (but not
on Deloreans) is to drill a small (1/8) hole in the plate of the
thermostat so it can pass air. This helps on other cars so it might
work on Deloreans but I have never needed to do it as on a tight
system once you bleed it it doesn't have any air inside to pass. If
you are still driving on origional hoses and water pump then you are
just asking for trouble, never mind about a little air. For any owners
who have to add coolant be warned that this is a signal of a serious
problem. You will never see the lost coolant on the floor because of
the way the leaks leave it on top of the motor to evaporate.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "IN2TIME" <Gary@xxxx> wrote:
> I often hear about how someone's car got low on coolant and "got a
bit
> hot". They put some water in the overflow tank and the next time
they
> drive the car, it overheats again, and again, and again. Often they
> explain that "at least the gage never got above XXX degrees". If
they