Re: [DML] Bizarre electrical problem

Martin, Take out the main relay and hook it up to a bench power supply, and
while it's hooked up turn the power supply off. The coil will let go but
sometimes the contacts won't for a second or two. And it's not because they
are burn't. I'm not an engineer, but this has puzzled me for a while. There
is so much capacity in the circuit, I think it's whats holding the contacts
together till it can bleed of.???
What do you or someone else thinks.
John hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/engine.shtml

<< On #2727 we're having a really bizarre problem. The ignition relay will
not turn off when the key is removed. If you un-plug the switched feed
to the relay, it of course turns the relay off, but plugging it back in
does not turn it back on. From this I assume the relay must be powering
itself somehow (turn it on and the supply it's switching is somehow fed
back to the coil).