RE: How much HP will the tranny, cluch, and chassis take

RE: How much HP will the tranny, cluch, and chassis take

Casey, I think I can address this. My car is putting out about 300HP (see photo at www.delorean-parts.com) using a Centerforce clutch. So far with fairly "brisk" driving there have been absolutely no clutch or chassis problems. The weak point, as I found out the hard way, is the splined coupler between the transmission input shaft and mainshaft. It is very soft metal and not splined all the way around. It may be intended to act as a "fusible link", but in order to prevent a repeat I had a new fully-splined bulletproof coupler made by an aerospace machine shop. However, it was quite difficult finding anyone who could do it.

Another weak point is the use of stock pistons in a supercharged car, but that's a story for another time. Suffice it to say that new forged blower pistons have been installed...

As for those who doubt high horsepower output from our lowly PRV, see the recent post about John Lane's twin turbo 500HP Volvo race car. It is a well known, frequent off-road winner in this area. All it takes is lots of $$$$$.

Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive
McCleary, WA
www.delorean-parts.com