Re: Incorrect door struts.

Hi Mike.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did just miss the thread about this. I wish I hadn't.

You bring up a valid point about going with a trusted vendor. I felt
the same, which is why I chose to shell out $120 to buy the struts
from a trusted vendor, as opposed to doing my own shopping. You
bring up another valid point about paying attention to detail. If I
had paid really close attention, instead of blindly trusting the
trusted vendor, I might have noticed the subtle difference in
geometry prior to installation. I won't make that mistake again.

Your third valid point was your suggestion about closing the door
slowly, feeling for binding. To my credit, I did exactly that, but
could not feel the binding. I think the bottoming out may have
happened exactly at the same point as the contact with the latch
mechanism, which camouflaged any feel I might have had. After I
discovered the damage, I also did the math, and figured out the
leverage involved. My calculations indicate that at the point at
which the bottoming-out occured, the mechanical advantage against the
mounting bolt was about 130 times the force at the door handle. With
that much leverage, I don't know whether I could have felt the
binding, even if the latch weren't camoflaging the contact. If
someone else were holding the door handle in the open position, so
the latch cleared the pins while I lowered the door, I might have
felt the few extra pounds of resistance at the point of binding. An
end-consumer should not be expected to be able to apply this much
technical expertise and mechanical aptitude to the installation of
such a simple part, anyway.

I'm still deliberating whether I will disclose the source of these
parts on the DML or not. If you wish to know, write me directly.
I've ordered new struts from a different vendor, and will be
rigorously comparing their geometry and function with the suspect
struts. I might post the results. I just wanted everyone to be
aware they're out there, so they could save a few hours of hassle.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Rick Gendreau

In dmcnews@xxxx, "Mike Aninger" <mike@xxxx> wrote:
> You aperently just missed the thread that talked about this! Did
you get your struts from a vendor or some auto parts store?