Re: Door Adjustments

After having done more than 1 door adjustment I also agree that most
of the time I can do a "door adjustment" by just replacing the strut.
Some of the adjustments I have done were to LOOSEN the torsion bar. I
find it is best if the owner can agree to have the doors open pretty
much by themselves but not all the way. My major test is if the door
will stay open when opened all the way. This way there is no "bounce".
I find it scary to see the door bounce. If you understood the amount
of leverage in the door system and the stresses on the roof from
having the doors open too energetically you might also loosen the bars
to get rid of the "bounce". (Watch the anchors when you open the door
and bounce it). I think if you have the door launchers you may need to
tighten up a little more but realize that the struts are very
sensitive to temperature. If we all lobby the venders maybe on the
next batch of struts they can be made with a temperature compensating
valve inside so they are less sensitive to changes in temperature. DO
NOT TIGHTEN THE TORSION BARS TO COMPENSATE FOR AGING, WEAK STRUTS.
When you finaly do replace the struts then you will REALLY see
"bounce"!!!! BTW not all struts from all venders are equal. The latest
from P. J. Grady seem to have a retarding effect in the last part of
the opening of the door minimizing "bounce". Another little tip is to
cut a small piece of rubber from an inner tube and stick it between
the rear hinge and where the torsion bar passes by so it cannot get
scratched. when adjusting torsion bars they can move around and touch
the hinge, if scratched then the bar will fail.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757