heater question

Now that temperature's are nearing a 100 degrees in some parts of the country
I thought I would ask a timely question about the heating system in the
Delorean....After all, winter is only 4-5 months away :-) My heater never
seems to blow hot air...not even warm....I have read many posts on the topic
but could not find an answer....I usually start with the simplest approach
(ignore the problem, turn up the radio) and work my way up to extreme
solutions (get a new Delorean)...I was thinking the problem was the heater
(hot water) control valve...mine just seems old and very stiff to press
in.....How can I tell if this part is why I get no heat in the winter....I am
getting some coolant repairs done and thought this was a good time to replace
this part since it is tied into the cooling system.....

Is there a list of 3 or 4 things to check in order of likelihood of a
solution?....
Don't be surprised if I ask how to get my A/C fixed in January...

Thanks,
Mike 2109