Rack and Pinion vs. Power Steering. (was: Power Steering).

Rack and Pinion vs. Power Steering. (was: Power Steering).

If your steering is that difficult, than it's time for a servicing of
some sort. I have the original steering rack, 2 properly inflated
tires, and lubed steering knuckles and suspension. Even though
it is noticably more resistant than my truck, I can still turn with
only 1 hand. Most time when I do drive thru parking lots, I usually
steer with my left hand open, palm pressing against the wheel,
and I have no problems. Now if your talking about turning wheels
lock to lock while stopped, that is always going to be difficult.
Even on trucks with power steering, I need to use 2 hands. So a
little grease in the right places on the front of your car, and you
should be good to go!

As far as power steering removing the feel of the road, this is
absolutely true. The reason being I have found is that power
steering gives control to the road to direct the car, rather than the
driver. A perfect example is where I live. Because of traffic, and
where I work, my commute to work usually takes me thru the
industrial areas of town. And this means HEAVY truck traffic.
Because of the consistant truck traffic, the pavement depresses,
and you will end up with wide grooves that snake all over.
Particualy interections where they have to both cross, and make
wide turns. Both my D, and my old car would feel them, but will
not follow them. When they curve a direction, my car just keeps
going straight, and drives out of them. Just the opposite with
powersteering. I drove my friends '00 Cavalier back when my car
was in the shop over the very same roads. The Cavalier kept
wanting to follow the grooves in the road, so I had to keep a tight
grip to compensate.

You also cannot take hard corners as smooth with
powersteering as you can rack and pinion. Powersteering has
(IMO) a nasty habit of trying to snap back straight after the
wheels are turned. So with hard cornering, I have to fight the
wheel to keep it from turning back. Turn too quick, and you'll over
shoot. Turn back too fast, and you'll over correct and can loose
control. With R&P, I just relieve my grip, and the wheel will turn
only as quickly as I let it, without much force needed at all.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "evm2k" <evm2k@xxxx> wrote:
> I did check out my rack & front end and found it in decent
shape. I
> even went into a few other Deloreans and checked them out.
They all
> seemed to be the same. Very hard. When I'm driving, there's
no
> problem but it's when I'm manuevering around town and
parking is when
> I wish that it did have power steering. Especially in San
> Francisco!!!
>
> Is this rack and pinion an exclusive Delorean design or is
there
> another car that shares the same components? If anyone
knows, please
> let me know so that I can do some further research.
>
> Richard
> Danville, Ca
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Marc A. Levy" <malevy@xxxx> wrote:
> > WHY?
> >
> > If you feel you have the need for power steering, you may
have some
> problem with your car.
> >
> > Even when parallel parking, I have no problem with the
manual