RE: [DML] Exhaust manifolds gasket removal techniques & gasket installat

RE: [DML] Exhaust manifolds gasket removal techniques & gasket installation process

A few people said use Vice Grips.. On most of my studs, I used a "Stud Extractor" which Snap-On and Sears both sell. It is a nice little tool to have around. However, this tool is kind of big and not easy to work with. Eventually I gave up on using the tool and switched to double-nutting the stud, and using a wrench to back it out. I advise others to use the double nut method over vice grips.

I do not think the studs Grady sells are Brass, they are probably cad plated steel.. I do not know for sure.

<SNIP>

> IF the stud remains in the block & the nut was removed,
> AFTER removing
> the entire left or right manifold, spray the studs again and
> using a pair of
> vise grips or channel locks, GENTLY lock them onto the middle
> of the stud and
> loosen. The stud will come out, just work slowly and with
> adequate space,
> spraying the stud with liquid wrench.

<SNIP>

> Purchase one of the manifold kits from a DeLorean vendor.
> I installed the
> entire PJ Grady kit on my 1981...very simple and easy to
> install. PJ Grady
> includes brass hardware replacements in the exhaust manifold
> kit. The gasket
> that they sell is a one piece item, which is thicker than the
> Volvo or
> Renault OEM parts.

<SNIP>