Re: DeLorean for 17year old

(sincere apologies for length of message)

Hello again, list,

I felt I should reply to this topic since I'm a young person (probably considered very young at 15) looking for a DeLorean. Like a lot of people, I was first introduced to the car by the Back to the Future trilogy. The car quickly joined a red Porsche 911 at the top of my "must-have cars" list. However, since I was about 7 or 8 years old at the time, I was more than happy with the back seat of my mother's VW Vanagon (an awesome vehicle in its own right, but there's a Vanagon list elsewhere. :)) More lately, using the modern miracle of the Internet, I've done a lot of research on the DeLorean at sites such as dmcnews and Tamir's excellent site. I've heard reports of people getting 30 MPG in a D, and for now economy is more important to me than performance (I'm still saving up for that 911). However, the "coolness factor" is still extant, and the DeLorean has been and always will be tops in that category.
Like a lot of people (especially those in my age bracket), my primary concern is the cost of the vehicle. Using this as a basis for reasoning, it is almost completely illogical that I'm looking for a DeLorean. However, I'd be willing to put in the copious amounts of time and money (well, as much money as I can put... college looms, after all) to restore one, and I really think that'd be a better experience than buying a perfect condition concours car or even a decent-quality daily driver. At the same time, I've heard plenty of horror stories about cars that were completely screwed up, but the owners still wanted nearly $10,000 for the car. The car I'm currently looking at (I've posted about it before) is a very short distance from my house, at a truck yard. It's been there for a while and obviously doesn't run, but externally appears to be in good condition. It needs a bath badly, but the stainless doesn't appear to be dented or have major defects. I still need to take a good, close look at the car, which will hopefully happen soon, but I hope to buy it anyway. At the very worst, I can always sell it to another DMC enthusiast who does have the means to restore it, depending on the actual condition of the car.
Another worry is the cost of insurance, but I have a strong sense that insurance companies would give me a hard time and high premiums for everything except a Yugo with a three-cylinder Mazda rotary engine.
All in all, I think that a DeLorean is a very worthy automobile for my personal use (at least on the weekends, when I can use it to attract females and offers of money at the local shopping mall). It's a tad out of reach for most teenagers, but I still think it'd be a good investment, since the rarity and curiosity of the cars will most likely cause them only to increase in value.

Ian Stewart