Re: more auto trans questions!

The plug you refer to is to connect the auto trans to the rest of the
car's internal witing for the neutral start switch, back-up lights,
power, and kick-down switch. The large round part with several pins is
used for diagnostic purposes.
To remove connectors release any locking tabs and pull out.
If the shift computer failed completly the car would not shift out of
first gear. The shifting of the trans is controlled by two electric
shift solenoids that are powered by the shift computer and is also
contolled by the gear selector.
If the trans is running good the best advice is to leave it alone. It
is a good idea to check the condition and level of the trans fluid and
final drive. You could also check the line pressure and other external
adjustments. Set them as per the Workshop Manual.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757