Re: [DML] In a word, FRAM Oil Filters SUCK!

Re: [DML] In a word, FRAM Oil Filters SUCK!

[MODERATOR NOTE: I'll continue to allow editorials on this subject, with the reminder that they are editorials. - Mike Substelny]

There ARE quality aftermarket oil filters out there. But, NEVER use a Fram
filter. Years ago they were a quality filter, but they were bought out and
the quality dropped. They're now riding on that earlier reputation and lots
of advertising. They use cardboard for the end caps of the filter element
instead of stamped steel like most manufacturers.

Here is a pretty good comparison of a variety of filters:
http://www.dorianyeager.com/oilfilterstudy1.html

It was originally written by a Mopar enthusiast, but has been copied to
this location. It does a comparison of construction quality, and the
filtration material used. It's not a perfect study, but it does allow you
to draw some conclusions about the various brands of filters based off of
their construction quality.

That said, you can't go wrong with a filter from the DeLorean parts
vendors. But, you can also find quality aftermarket filters if you go
looking for them.

Mark N
VIN 6820

At 06:48 AM 5/7/02 -0000, you wrote:
>A while back, I needed to do an oil change. I went to Autozone to
>get an oil filter. But neither of the 3 stores I went to stocked the
>BOSCH filters I was seeking. So, despite warnings, I went
>ahead and used a FRAM filter. And juding by my last oil change, I
>could have paid a price for being a hypocrite. After all, I always
>reccomend using DeLorean specific parts, yet I didn't use them
>on my car...
<snip>