Re: Workshop Manual

In a message dated 4/15/02 10:52:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cpgny9@xxxx writes:

> the seller game me his workshop manual. It is the Delorean One version. I
> have had several other cars and I buy the workshop manual everytime.
> Unfourtunately, this manual isn't that great. Does anyone know if the

It's worth dropping by P.J. Grady whether you get a manual or not, but to my
knowledge, the only differences would be negligible. (Rob, James correct me
if I'm wrong in this following bit...)
Wherever you get them, the workshop manual repros are unedited copies of the
original workshop manual put out by dmc. When the car was first introduced,
mechanics were trained, service bulletins were issued as needed, and area
service managers answered questions as needed. There was no manual. When
the manual finally came out months later, it was somewhat sketchy, and was
never intended to be the final authority for the next twenty years. It also
presumes a certain amount of training on the part of the reader. Plus, some
errors are there as well as the fact that some things are done better and
easier than recommended, with the benefit of hindsight. With the financial
distress of the company coming on strong at that time, there were no later
editions. There is no "Chilton Manual" intended for backyard mechanics since
it was a low volume car. The now-defunct DeLorean Motor Club of America did
issue a different, expanded (and out of print) workshop manual they titled
"Technical Owners Guide." They turn up on e-bray a few times a year. This
is not the same thing as the "Technical INFORMATION Manual" repro which can
still be bought from ther major D vendors. All the major vendors also offer
Service Bulletin repros. Those DO vary slighly but only by what's included.
They still aren't edited. All the workshop manual and bulletin repros look
pretty crummy that I've seen, except for the ROA version, which is also out
of print. I've only seen one, and I've got it for the new manuals project!
:)
I've been working intermittantly on revised versions, but it's extremely time
consuming and I can only give it small chunks of time here and there. The
four available repro manuals: (workshop, technical info, parts, owners
manual) are all worth having. The parts manual is available online from DMC
Houston. Your best ally is your DeLorean service center. Pick your vendor
and stick with him. He'll guide you. You need parts from him anyway. That
would be true even if somebody had already done an updated manual. Sounds
like you're near Rob Grady. He'll give you all the help you need.

Wayne A. Ernst