Re: Re: Fan Sequencer (delay box)

On 03-04-2002 Shain wrote:

> I though the purpose of the fanzilla was to turn one fan on then
> have a delay on the second. The main function of this was to have
> one fan warm up before the other clicks on, creating a gradual instead
> of an imediate request of power for the car.

True, but you forgot that the A/C compressor kicking in ALSO asks for
A LOT of power from the engine. Originally the fans cycle in full sync
with the AC, so when the compressor kicks in you get an immediate demand
of power for both fans (fused at 20A each equals about 240Watts (about
0.32hp), startup current not taken into account) AND the compressor, which
can take its' fair amount of hp too.

What the FanZilla does is wait for the AC to come on, then one fan, and a
bit later the other. The off cycle is the same: first the AC, fan one,
fan two... AND it restores the FanFail to its' original function...

I'm curious of Martins' system too, I like the idea of making two separate
systems, especially if he decides to fuse them separately and gives them
power directly from the battery instead of over the CircuitBreaker.
Not that I would need one: I have a FanZilla on board, soon to be joined by
my "JanZilla: ;-) monitoring system...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000