Re: [DML] Need tank cleaning advice

Eric,

Mark Vanyo and I needed to do pretty much the same thing to my car (vin 1217)
minus the new fuel pump. I also found rust-like material and a few leaves.
Not cool. We went to our local auto parts store and got a little hand pump
and removed all the gas from the tank. We used nitrile gloves (NOT latex,
they dissolve in gasoline. We learned that very quickly.) and got a towel
and soaked up the last bit of gas from the tank. Then we just used another
slightly damp (with water) towel to wipe up all of the crud in the tank. You
may want to use an abrasive pad or something to get any material that is
stuck on the bottom of the tank. The technique was just to stick a gloved
hand with towel into the top of the fuel tank and move it around to try to
catch all of the debris. It worked surprisingly well. We ended up putting
the gas back in the tank when we were all finished, since it looked pretty
gunk-free. If yours looks like it has stuff in it, you probably want to get
fresh fuel. That's it.

Cheers!

Aaron King
Bothell, WA