Federal Scrappage Program News

Submitted by Dick Ryan -

I believe that this announcement is appropriate to post on our mailing list.

Dick Ryan
---------------------------------------

I thought you would all like to know that your efforts were successful...the
following announcement was just made by SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association):

SCRAPPAGE IS DEFEATED ON U.S. SENATE FLOOR
As a result of SEMA and SEMA-member companies' hard work to oppose the
old-car scrappage provision in the Energy Policy Act of 2002 (Section 822 of
S. 517), the provision has been defeated. Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell's
(R-CO) amendment to eliminate scrappage from the legislation passed by
unanimous consent. Even the principal sponsor of the scrappage provision,
Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM), was not willing to oppose the Campbell
amendment!

This is fantastic work which would not have been possible without the
enthusiastic and valuable support of Sen. Campbell and the thousands of
phone calls, faxes, e-mails and letters to U.S. senators that SEMA-member
businesses and SEMA Action Network vehicle clubs and individual enthusiasts
contributed. Hobbyist efforts were cited by Senator Campbell and Senator Sam
Brownback (R-KS) as a compelling force in defeating this scrappage
provision. SEMA sincerely thanks everyone for their dedication, hard work,
and willingness to protect the vehicle hobby today and to preserve for it
for our children. Great work and thank all of you who made the effort to
call or write.