ELECTRICAL BLUES

On 28 Feb, I posted a message asking for assistance regarding the No7 fuse which continually blew on engine start. I had a gut feeling that the problem was associated with the fuel pump but was unable to source the problem. With the help from several members of the DML and my auto electrician, who I called after my fruitless effort to locate the cause, we were able to able to ascertain that the 12V wire to the fuel pump was the problem. This was confirmed by by-passing the wire. Wallah!! everything worked fine. The next task was to find where the short was. After a considerable amount of hunting around, and practically disassembling the car, it was discovered that one of the self-tapping screws which secured the boot around the gear lever to the console had penetrated the wiring harness in the console. Five wires had been damaged including the fuel pump wire which was earthing through the screw.

In an effort to find the short, I tracked the fuel pump wire from the tank back including under the dash. Had I started from the fuse box end, I could have saved myself a considerable amount of work. In the next day or so, I'll post a pic to the DML showing the damage to the wiring harness and the location of the offending screw. This may help others in the future.

I wish to thank all those who provided assistance. I very much appreciated your help and guidance.

Regards,

Lance Haslewood
Australia.