Porsche engines in a DeLorean

IMHO: this is a BAD idea,
I have a 1984 944. The 2.5L inline 4 puts out 150 hp reliably. I
have a K&N ram-air setup with a slightly bigger throttle body and mass air
flow sensor. I am seeing 161 hp on the dyno. It's great in a front
engine/rear drive 50/50 weight bias car. Let it be noted that I just turned
190,000 miles and I still get 33mpg if I am very gentle. I usually like to
drop the hammer (a 4 cyl. hammer-drop is akin to using the gas pedal like an
on/off switch....:) ) and I see about 24-26 mpg. Overall it sounds great,
right?

So here's my two cents on why it's not a good idea for the D:
Money! Everyone seems hell-bent on saving by cross-referencing parts and
working new ones into the mix. Going with a Porsche engine won't save you
any money. It will cost you an arm and a leg in maintenance the likes a PRV
will never do. $650 for an alternator-new. Timing belts should be changed
every 60-80K miles and if you are in there, why not do a water pump? Don't
forget to retention the timing belt after 3K miles. Did I mention there's
only one tool to use for this, and it is produced solely by Porsche, AG?
How much do you think that costs? Price a set of spark plug wires too. You
will be very surprised.
They tend to run hot too. I found this in NJ. My first summer here
in AZ was nerve racking, although I must admit the stock cooling setup is
kind of efficient. The fans only turn off for a moment in traffic unless
you're using AC, which I do at least 7 months out of the year. I saw
several 110+ degree days. Sure, you can stock up on parts from ebay or pay
a fortune to the one or two companies that still carry them....or you could
call me since I have a garage full of them....:) Either way it's a good
project IF you have the space AND the money. The engine will run forever if
you keep up routine maintenance, but it is going to cost you-plenty. If you
go with the 928 V-8 you are just asking for trouble. Most of the 928's were
plagued by gremlins that never went away. That's why they are so expensive
today. Most of the ones around are the good ones, and they are really
rare....:)
There is a shop in Las Vegas that drops a Small Block Chevy motor
into any Porsche (Hey Richard, it's turnkey for $10,000. Want to drop an
LT-1 into my DeLorean? PLEASE????....:) ). They even sell each piece for
it up into a full kit for the DIY'ers. An LT-1 is about 50-100 lbs. heavier
but you lose some of the Porsche systems and you end up with about a 52/48
weight bias. It's more than double the hp and torque. They run
significantly cooler. Starters and alternators are readily available at the
corner auto parts store in the $150 range. Any gearhead can work on them.
Parts are plentiful and cheap. Most garages see the SBC variant so often
that they really know them well.
If you are looking at an engine swap, do it right. Get the power
you want, within reason to the D's drivetrain. Find a reliable engine that
has a good history and low maintenance costs. Look what Richard Cutter did
with the Northstar V-8. Smart man....solid engine, cheap parts, reliable,
powerful, and the install is beautiful. That's the way to go. Look at
Darryl's blown V-6. Still a common engine (minus the blower), easy to get
parts for, and one of the nicest installs and dress-ups anyone has done to a
DeLorean. These are the people that know. Yes, a Porsche engine properly
maintained will go forever, but you'll pay to keep it running sweet. Ask
Richard or Darryl what their yearly engine maintenance costs are. I bet
mine are triple. Sad but true. Take it from someone who knows.

An LT-1 sounds good....anyone want to buy my 944 inline 4? Cheap....:)
Lots of parts in the garage!

Matthew
VIN #10365
VIN #16816