Re: auto trans leaks

Some of the more common areas to check are
1) check fluid level as per Manual as an overfilled trans will leak
see G:04:02 (overfilled trans VERY common)
2) gearshift cable leaks. Get repair kit from PJ Grady (common)
3) "O" ring seal at vacuum modulater
4) oil cooler fittings at trans
5) seals on shift computer
6) Pan gasket
7) It is possible there is a porosity (a pinhole) in the casting but
unlikely.
The easiest way to find leaks is to have the trans cleaned or clean it
yourself with Gunk and a hose. Watch it for when it first starts to
leak and look ahead and above to make sure it isn't comming from
there. Leaks tend to travel from front to back and from top to bottom.
It may take removal and disassembly to reseal the whole thing to stop
every leak. When you pull the pan the debris should be minimal with
very little shiny metal and the fluid should not smell burnt. If it
isn't the grit will wipe out all of the seals. In this case the trans
will soon be in need of a rebuild as the longer you operate it the
more internal damage you will cause. Sometimes a leaking trans is a
warning that the fluid is burnt and has damanged the seals causing
them to start leaking. At that point replacing just the leaking seals
is like sticking a band-aid on a broken arm! Don't forget that the
final drive must be checked separately. See G:05:01
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, hrlyrngr1@xxxx wrote:
> I'm sure this topic has come up before, but I'm having trouble
finding what I
> need. I have an automatic trans in an Aug '81, which appears to be
leaking
> fluid from both the front & the rear. I have a new pan gasket which
I havent