Re: [DML] Is there an easy alternator model swap?

Re: [DML] Is there an easy alternator model swap?

> I just put in a 100 amp alternator from Summit racing. Black powder coat.
> 89.99 outright and no core charge. Also avail in chrome. This is a one
wire
> unit. No bulbs to worry about but you sacrifice the idiot light.
Installation
> required the removal of approx 3/4 of an inch of the back side of
alternator
> pivot casting.

I have heard of several people doing it this way before. I even tried this
myself by using a similar alternator out of an old GM. Honestly, I don't
like it because the alternator is not very well supported. I'm worried that
with a lot of use, what is left of the front bracket will fatigue and break
off. What made me so aware of this was by looking at how other cars secure
their alternators -- always with at least 3 points. By your cut & hack
method, you are only using 2 points.

To make the installation more secure on my car, I made an extra bracket that
bolted to the rear of the alternator and met the other side of the PRV
bracket just like the original Ducy did. But I ended up junking this setup
because the old GM alternator that I used performed just as bad or worse
than the Ducy I replaced. It was fine at higher RPMs, but at idle there
wasn't enough to run the car with the fans on.

Walt Tampa, FL