Re: [DML] timing chain trouble? what's this sound?

Re: [DML] timing chain trouble? what's this sound?

In a message dated 3/1/02 10:50:46 PM Central Standard Time,
srubano@xxxx writes:

> They automatically adjust with the use of tensioners. It is true
> that you can't mill the heads to much since it doesn't take up a hell
> of a lot of slack but it does adjust them.
>
> Steve

The real reason they don't want you to mill the heads is not because you will
run out of spring tensioning adjustment for the cam chains. What actually
happens is when you mill the head you are actually moving the camshaft closer
to the crankshaft. Because the links in the timing chain are a fixed length
and the timing gear on the end of the camshaft is pinned in place with no
degree adjustment, you are actually changing the cam timing when you mill the
heads. And changing cam timing can create a whole different bunch of problems.

Marty