Re: [DML] delorean quality

I just got through agreeing with Jim on his feelings
about the D. Now, I'm going to sort of challenge him
on the qualilty of the D's. Keep in mind, I have only
owned two and I have only driven in excess of 100,000
miles in my D's.

I have never replaced a starter, any ac parts, brakes
(other than pads), and on and on. Yes I had ONE
impulse coil in the distributor go bad at about 50,000
miles. And, I have had a couple (seriously, just a
couple) of door problems and they became solved with
the purchase of Lockzilla. Oh, and yes, since my first
D was an automatic, I did replace one computer
governor (put over 70,000 miles on that car. And ,
yes, I did have an angle drive problem early on.
Learned that with frequent lubrication, that problem
usually disappears.

BTW, both of my cars were/are equipped with twin
turbo's. Supposedly that produces extra strain on the
engine, but I've seen no adverse effects.

I am not mechanically inclined. I therefore have
almost all my work done by someone else. Costly, to
be sure, but I always use one of the well known
DeLorean repair facilities. I am religious about
maintenance.

Perhaps this is why I never fear getting into my D and
taking off on a 1/2/3,000 mile trip - as I did 4 times
last summer.

I don't know where the statistice for Joe's database
come from and I have never had service performed by
him. However, the figures he quotes jibe quite nicely
with my experience.

Dick Ryan