There's no such thing as negative pressure. Or to put it another way, suction is not a force in its own right. The pump picks up fuel by lowering the pressure on the pickup side and atmospheric pressure forces the fuel up the hose. For this reason the "amount of suck" a pump has can never exceed atmospheric pressure - roughly 15psi at sea level. Mounting the pump on top of the tank will add about 6" to the height the fuel must rise - this more than doubles the pressure required to get the fuel out of the tank - or to put it another way, this more than doubles the work the pump must do in order to drop the pressure sufficiently on the intake side to get the fuel up the hose. I would imagine the design specs for the pump have this well in hand, so if it works without any complaints, I for one would not lose any sleep.

HOWEVER lowering the pressure in the suction hose even further increases the possibility of the suction hose collapsing. I have had headaches due to the original hose collapsing, but have noticed that the bore of that hose need not be anything like as large. My pickup is 1/4" bore and drawing through a nice little in-line filter with ports the same size (but a considerably larger element than the stock pickup filter). James RG has noticed how an apparently solid fuel line becomes soft and flabby and prone to collapsing as soon as traffic and a hot day combine to heat your fuel up enough. If you do move the pump outside the tank, make sure your pickup hose is suitably reinforced (mine's steel-braided line).

Martin

jamesrguk wrote:

Hi all,

I may be corrected here by one of the UK DeLorean buffs, but it is my understanding that the European spec cars had metal fuel tanks with the pump mounted on the top apparently for saftey reasons.

The car on this page has the european setup.

www.delorean.co.uk/pictures/dcp01652.jpg

Regards

James RG
England