RE: trailing arm bolt incident

Adam, maybe you missed my earlier post in November concerning the
once-available trailing arm support bracket. Since its an important topic
that comes up occasionally, with the moderator's consent I'd like to repeat
it:

Some years ago there was such a bracket available. But unfortunately the
answer isn't that simple. If you look at the geometry of the rear
suspension you will notice that the upper and lower links are a different
length. I believe the purpose is (remember I'm a civil, not mechanical,
engineer) to make the contact patch of the tire remain in the same relative
position on the ground as the tire moves up and down. But by doing so the
top of the tire moves in and out the opposite way, making the trailing arm
which extends forward twist as it moves up and down. Something in that
forward joint must be able to flex. 1963 and later Corvettes solved this
problem with a rubber bushing in the end of the arm, with the bolt supported
on both ends. They survived huge amounts of HP, torque, and tire smoking.
But for whatever reason DMC/Lotus put the rubber bushing on the frame,
requiring the outer end of the bolt to be free to slightly move. If the
rubber bushings are in good condition, and the new bolts properly torqued,
the factory setup should function as designed. Its just when the soft
original (or currently available replacement) bolts begin to stretch and
bend that you have problems.

The new "Toby Bolts" (he dislikes that name) should be available sometime
after 2/1/02. It will be announced here and on my web site.

--
Darryl Tinnerstet
THE ORIGINAL Specialty Automotive