A thank you to the fine Senator

I wanted to take a few minutes to let the list know how helpful a fellow list
member was to me. Having bought a Delorean from the west coast (I live in MD)
i took a big risk buying the car and having it shipped here. After getting
the car it seemed to be in great shape. However, I wanted to get someone here
in MD's opinion on the car. I was told by a list member to find Senatorpack
here in MD who is president of the Maryland Delorean chapter. After several
great phone calls Mike was willing to come over and spend the day going over
the car and giving me some pointers.

After several hours of going over each part of the car, Mike and I headed to
his favorite place, PepBoys, we picked up all the neccesary cleaning
supplies, protectants and a few other misc parts. After giving me an
education on the car we were nearing the end o f the inspection when mike
first noticed the problem. He smelled the gas tank and told me I may have a
problem. He was right. After remeoving spare tire and the fuel pump cover we
discovered why i smelled fuel all the time. There was 2 inches of gas on my
fuel pump which was now listing like the Titantic, submerged and a major
hazard.

"I would not drive this car another foot" he calmly said.....

We sat down and made a list of everyting i would need to redo my fuel system
and then do a tune up. I ordered the parts and we began. For two days I
watched as Mike would meticulously use liqiuid wrench to get bolts apart that
had been stuck for twenty years. First the fuel pump was redone, complete
with new hoses, then the gas tank was cleaned to the plastic......this next
part I think needs to go down in Delorean lore. If anyone has disconeected
the 2 fuel hoses you will notice the 2 metal pipes that disappear into the
body of the car. each of the pipes has a metal nut that screws into you're
replacement hose...well somehow i managed to push that nut up the hose and it
disppeared into the frame of the car!!!! I almost died....after an hour of
mike on his back, upside down like a contorshonist with my wifes compact
mirror, a flashlite and a little grabber claw it seemed it was hopeless. He
was about to give up and said we may need to drop half the bottom of this car
from the frame to reach that screw.....Mike did not give up!!!! for another
hour he tried every imaginable option, including, magnets, ESP, cussing, the
middle finger and a few other Delorean explatives including some engineeering
comments that can not be repeated here...after 2 hours he somehow able to
convince that piece to slide back down saving my car from stting on blocks
for the winter...

Over the next 2 weekends we basically redid the fuel/ ignition system. Mike
did all of this for the love of the car. He basically gave up 3 of his
weekends to help a fellow Delorean owner. His advice, help, time and
enthusiam for this car is one of the reasons the Delorean should never die
out.

I could write another 5 pages of the little things he did to help me with the
car but I just wanted to publicly thank him. The car is now at a local shop
getting all the adjustments and settings set back to factory specs. There are
many other list members I would like to thank but just wanted to tell Mike
thank you for you're time and helping a new owner appreciate the car. I hope
someday to pass on any knowledge and help another new owner live the dream. I
really feel like part of the responsibilty of owning a Delroean is sharing
what u know with everyone from list members to perfect strangers, because
just like a company is jugded by the people it employs, the Delorean is now
be judged by the people that drive them....

Again, a long overdue thank you to Senator Pack....Now Mike told me anyone
else looking for free work should not hesitate to call a different list
member....Anyone out there with a low mileage Delorean you want to donate to
a worthy person Just call the senator...

mike cohee