Re: Original tires!

I also have NCT's on my car with just over 6K miles. They do ride hard
but I have nothing to compare to as I never drove on them when new.
Tires are not meant to be used that are this old. With that being said
if you have a very aggressive inspection program ie: you remove the
tires and inspect the tread and sidewalls, keep a close eye on
inflation pressures and watch the wear pattern they can be used. I
wouldn't jump in the car and drive to California on them but I have
driven them as long as 4 hours at a time. You must watch for any
change in driving charactoristics and feel for delaminations in the
sidewalls. Tire technology has improved since these tires were made so
with the right choice you can improve safety and handling over what
was "state of the art" in 1981. The only reason I still keep the NCT's
on is for origionality. If I had an extra set of rims I probably would
change them. Using a premium tire cleaner with UV protection is useful
to keep them looking new and prevent "dry rot". In the offseason raise
the car and keep away from ozone producing sources like electric
motors with brushes and sunlight. If you want a relieable tire you can
trust put the NCT's away and get a modern tire.
David Teitelbaum