Re: [DML] how fast was vin#502?

In looking at the reported performance numbers of #502, I agree it is important to look at them in perspective. The legend engine was extensively modified. The details of
which are unknown. However, turboing an engine to use the turbos more effectively requires different camshafts, timing retards, higher rpm torque converter and lower rear end
ratio.

An very good comparison to the difference all this makes it the buick 3.8 liter engine. The Buick GNX is renown for its performance. THe GNX resale value is higher than
what the cars sold for new and continues to be so. The GNX set up more than doubled the performance of the car in 0-60 times and quarter mile speeds.

What this means is that these SAME changes had to be made to #502 to achieve the reported performance.

The most significant would be a lower rear end ratio and closer gear ratio in the trans. Just lowering the rear end ratio of a stock engine car significantly changes its
performance with no change in the engine. The basic effect is to put the engine in a higher RPM range (and HP range ) at ordinary road speeds. However, this has a negative
effect on MPG,.

In order to achieve 0-60 in under 6 seconds, you MUST have almost 300 HP for the weight of the D. A 2.8 liter with the right caming, 6 psi of boost pressure with easily do
this.

What I find most intreging about the LEGEND set up in fuel management. Turbo and supercharged D suffer from inadequate fuel management at higher rpm. THis is compensated for
in many cases by over suppling fuel by shorting the computer to fuel rich. (Sometimes even this is inadequate). Based on my experience with Delorean engines, legend has to
make changes to the bosch injectors to make their setup work properly.

Has anybody out there put larger injectors in this car? I know I can easily do this on other cars that are hot rodded.

BoB