Re: [DML] The 4 X 4 Delorean in Texas for sale

Re: [DML] The 4 X 4 Delorean in Texas for sale

As nice as that would sound, it's not true. I called looking to
purchase this D a couple of years ago (I got turned down by JJ&
Best as have many other people seeking finacing for DeLoreans
from that place), and found out a little history. There used to be a
guy who's whole bussiness was converting luxury cars to 4X4's.
He's done Corvettes, Mercedes', and even a Rolls Royce. The
car was purchased new, and was converted shortly after. Who
knows what happened to the chassis & drivetrain. But it was in
new condition when removed. The conversion shop went out of
bussiness along time ago according to the saleman on the
phone. I used to have the VIN#, but I have no idea where it's at.

The conversion was a relativly simple one. The underbody is
bolted onto a Blazer chassis. In this case, it is the chassis that
was modified. The steering column on the DeLorean was
welded up to the rack on the chassis. The rivets were removed,
and the panel in the trunk was removed to make room for the
engine. I'm guessing the brake MC was simply bolted onto the
underbody, and conected to the pedal. The engine I beleive is a
350, w/a 4bbl carb. It's and automatic, with true 4 wheel drive.
According to the man I spoke with, taking to the gas station was
a major pain. You have to lift the louvers to gain access to the
fuel filler neck. Which means you have to stand on the rear
bumper to fill it. Which also means you have to climb up there
with the nozzle in hand. But I can't imagine it would be any harder
than filling up a boat on a trailer.

According to the salesman at the time, it could very easily be
converted back to a regular DeLorean with minimal work. But the
cost of a rolling chassis is too prohibative for this.

Maybe one day it'll be in my driveway. 'Cause I couldn't get out if it
was parked in the garage!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

<SNIP>