[DML] Re: Torsion Bars reversed?

Martin and List - We had a spirited discussion of this topic at the
annual PNDC Christmas party tonight, and I must admit that I had a
flaw in my logic that had to be personally beat into me by Gary
Hull. I failed to consider that the "stationary end" of the bar must
remain at the aft end, regardless of which bar is used. The forward
end must always be the "moving end" because of it's attachment to the
forward hinge. This consideration makes it impossible to reverse the
bars. My sincere apologies to all for my mistake. And 'thank you'
to Gary for having the patience to gently lead me to the correct
conclusion. BTW - We are working to locate the car that has the dual
gas struts installed. I looked at the installation over a year ago,
but I think that I can remember the details. This configuration
could allow the preload on the bars to be reduced, which would extend
the life of the bars considerably. The bars are designed to operate
at 80% - 95% of ultimate strength according to the patent
documentation ... keeping the working stresses to the lower end would
be a great benefit in terms of fatigue life.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx> wrote:
> Sorry, Toby, you're wrong. As I said to James Grant when he posted
the same suggestion -