Re: Torsion Bars reversed?

> Turning the bar around would also make it somewhat difficult to
> adjust, since the allen-head end will now be somewhere just
> inside of the windshield.

I think this would be impossible to do; you'd have to have a mounting
point on the body of the car, capable of taking the load the bar puts
on it. The windshield is NOT capable of holding these forces and
since there is no real body-structure surrounding it it would have to
take the load all alone. In the back the construction is much
sturdier and the forces of the bar can be directed into/through the
body in an allmost straight line. The top corners of the windshield
hang free when the doors are open so they can't depend on any support
from the body.

> > As Walt hinted, it may be possible to reverse the bars
> > if the hinge was changed, and also the retention bracket
> > in the back was changed to have a hex bore.

I'm no expert here, but I have quite a good feel for physics;
making the retentions bracket and hinge so they can hold a LH Torsion
Bar is NOT an option.
Look at it this way: the LH Bar produces a turning force in a
CLOCKWISE direction looking from the fixed position (=retention
bracket above rear window). If you look at it from the other end and
fix that end, the motion STILL is clockwise.

So when you reverse the bar and put it on the RH door in a modified
front hinge and retention bracket it would STILL produce a clockwise
force, thus forcing the door closed instead of open.

I think anyone with a bit of technical insight would agree with me
that this idea is impossible, so I would like to ask the moderator to
close this thread.

I am convinced that when someone really needs this part he of she
will be able to get a hold of one, maybe even through the list!

Just my 2 cents...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000