Re: [DML] Can someone answer my question?

Re: [DML] Can someone answer my question?

In regards to the torsion bars, these will be very difficult to
re-create. If I understand the technology and history correctly,
Grumman Aerospace made these in a fashion similar to the F-16 canopy
torsion springs. Because of the enormous stresses on our bars
(nearly a 90 degree twist in a part only a couple of feet long) the
bars were cryogenically tempered in liquid helium at about 7 degrees
Kelvin. That's very cold, by the way. This is much different than
the typical spring tempering at high temperatures, with a quench in
oil or air. Bottom line - I don't think that the local spring house
is going to want to attempt these. What to do? I don't know at this
point. Does anybody on the list have a different perspective on my
understanding? I would almost think that a call to Northrop-Grumman
might at least be interesting. Perhaps I can dredge up a contact.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1