Re: [DML] K-mart Battery (sucks)

Les,

You gotta stop messing with those old technology batteries that leak acid --
especially in the DeLorean where they get a lot of shock and vibration being
near the rear suspension. Steve Wynne of DMC Houston told me that the
reason why passenger side carpets are hard to come by (compared to the
availability of the driver's side) is because so many of them get damaged by
leaking battery acid. Unfortunately for my car, it came from its previous
owner with plenty of battery acid damage. I get only Optima brand batteries
now. They can't leak, work in any position, don't accumulate explosive
gasses and are not subject to damage from vibration like the antique
batteries sold at K-mart. Other cars are not as critical for battery
quality. If one leaks in an engine compartment, it really doesn't matter so
much. If it explodes, it is under the hood -- not with you in the passenger
compartment.

Before I used to really like K-mart batteries, but the guys who worked there
always warned me that if I put too big a battery in my car that it would
overload my electrical system and burn it out. If I put a 850CCA battery in
a car that their books said only needed a 550CCA, then they threatened that
if the battery went bad then they would not honor the warranty. (For those
of you who don't know batteries, theses guys were completely wrong!) I put
up listening to this nonsense for several years and from several different
guys that worked there.

Also be aware that battery warranties (with the exception of Optima) are
ALWAYS longer than the manufacture expects them to last. This is to keep
you coming back to pay for a new battery (of their brand) that are prorated.
Since Optima is so much better than the rest, they don't need to keep you
coming back by selling you a warranty that is going to out live the battery.

Walt Tampa, FL (I don't work for or sell Optima batteries.)

From: "Les Huckins" <jhuckins@xxxx>