Re: heli-coils in rear hub carrier

On race cars and aircraft with aluminum parts it is very common to put
thread inserts in at the time of manufacture. It allows a higher
torque without risking pulling out the threads from the aluminum. Why
it was done for the rear caliper anchor bolts I can only guess that
since the Delorean is mostly a car of sourced parts that were already
tooled up by manufacurers these parts were modified to suit this
particular application. There are very few parts out of all the parts
the car is made up of that were specifically made for the Delorean. Of
course body panels and frame and trim are Delorean specific, but as
far as electrical and mechanical parts go, the majority are found
interchangeble with something else. Why they used English when they
could have used a metric insert and bolt is weird.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757