Re: [DML] Remote Starter

James,
Every time I read an advertisement for one of these devices, I question how
it can work reliably in an older car. My new car just needs a second to
crank, and it starts every time. But sometimes when my DeLorean is cold and
having one of those intermittent starting problems (that always cures itself
by the time I get under the hood to find out what is causing it) it helps to
turn the a/c off to get those radiator fans to shut off for a moment. That
usually gives the engine enough slack to get running good.

To 'simulate' this electronically & automatically, you could install a delay
circuit. To really do it right, you would need to have the delay only
activate for a short duration while & after the car is starting. If it
worked every time the radiator fans came on, then it would interfere with
their operation.

I suggest building a delay circuit that triggers 'off' for say 10 to 20
seconds when the ignition first switches on. Have this interrupt the
radiator fan circuit or maybe you could hook it to the a/c controls so that
it would kill the a/c blower too. I have installed similar ready-made
timers that would do this job on various appliances that need delays -- such
as to stop a refrigerator compressor from coming back on immediately after
being switched off. (Without a rest for the refrigerant pressure to
dissipate, it would restart under too high a load and overheat the motor.)
These are available at Grainger (a wholesale appliance parts distributor in
the U.S.) You buy a standard module and snip wires according to what the
input voltage needs to be -- 120V, 24V, 12V. The output is a SPDT relay, so
it can switch either 'on' or 'off' depending on what you need. There is a
potentiometer to adjust the delay from 1 second to 3 minutes. If you are
technically minded, you could build your own delay device using a 555 timer
or an RC circuit. I am better at repairing than designing, so I would
rather buy a standard module or copy something out of a project book from
Radio Shack. If you have one in your area, look at a project booklet
titled, "Engineer's Mini-Notebook 555 Timer IC Circuits". Catalog #
276-5010.

I would expect that a well designed remote starter would have some delay
circuits like this already built in.

Walt Tampa, FL