Re: [DML] Re: logos & copyrights

> The DMC logo was officially registered THIS YEAR 9/25/2001 by Houston.
> This also ran out in 1985, so was unregistered from 1985 until this
> year.

I bet that DMC Houston will have a very hard time defending any
infringements on this copyright since it has technically been in the public
domain from 1985-2001. There was a similar problem with a copyright
concerning the Diver's Down Flag (the red flag with the diagonal white
stripe.) Someone had a copyright to this many many years ago but never
enforced it. Eventually it became part of the logo for just about every
dive shop in the world. When they went to enforce their copyright, they
couldn't. I bet a similar thing might happen with DMC Houston. People have
been producing the DMC logo in various forms now for several years. If
Houston tries to get a cease & decist order at this point, I bet it will be
a moot point. (and probably bad for their business anyway.)

Walt Tampa, FL