Re: Broken Muffler Bracket.

I have noticed that the edges of the various muffler brackets are
sharp and unfinished. In an environment with lots of vibration and
heat, cracks can start at sharp edges and burred edges. The cracks
then propagate through the part from cyclic fatigue. I have seen
similar cracked brackets on other cars. This is always a concern with
high-performance jet aircraft as well. The bracket can be welded by
any muffler shop, or any other shop with normal welding equipment. It
may be a good idea to take it off for welding. The high current of
resistance welding could damage the alternator or other electronic
components. I would recommend smoothing off all edges of any sheet
metal parts that are removed from the car for any reason. It's always
a good policy, and makes the cars look better, and safer to work on
with bare hands.