Re: Trailing Arm Bolt Concerns

This is a very interesting story. It reminds me of the guy who every
weekend tightened up every bolt on his motorcycle. Eventualty bolts
started breaking off. You must not constantly retorque bolts. I don't
think that is what is happening here though. The Delorean venders have
known for a long time about the "crappy" OEM trailing arm bolts and
all now offer a higher tensile strength bolt with either double nuts
or elastic stop-nuts. The problem as I see it is getting the owners of
the Deloreans aware of the potential for serious trouble and to check
or if in doubt just replacing the "crappy" bolts. They are relatively
cheap as compared to the alternative! Also when getting an alignement
many shops don't have the proper washers (shims) so the ones they put
in are too small or too soft so they bend and crush. Fortunatly this
is one area of weak design that is easy to upgrade. In fact I am
suprised that none of the US government agencies like DOT or NHSTA
never did a recall on this as they did on the front suspension!
Failure of this bolt has caused some cars to lose control as told in
this list, fortunatly it seems to happen at low speeds but I don't see
why it couldn't happen at highway speeds.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757