My FIRST proper questions!

Hi Guys

Well, tonight I started my DeLorean for the first time (it has sat for 4 years). The fuel
system has been completely checked from end-to-end. All the hoses gave been blown through,
the car has a new tank, pickup filter, pump, boot and fuel filter as well as spark plugs, oil
change etc etc. The car was never cranked with the mulch in the tank, and everything we did
disassemble on the engine was beautifully clean.

So what happenned then?

We put 10litres of petrol in the tank together with two bottles of injector cleaner, after
the expected delay in starting as the pump filled all the lines, it did start but wouldn't
idle. It started a second time and would stay running as long as the I kept the revs at
1500-2000. We then discovered a fuel leak and set about fixing it. No problem.

We then started it again but with a large amount of difficulty (loads of cranking and had to
jump the battery which was rapidly getting flat). And I sat for a good 5 minutes keeping the
revs at 1500. It still wouldn't idle and stalled.

...and that was it. We've not been able to get it going since. We've let it go cold and tried
again, but still no luck.

Now I should explain that my mechanic is familiar with the engine in its Renault guise, and
is a thoroughly competant mechanic - we checked and double checked that everyhting was back
the way it should be, and as far as we can see, it is.

I've read the article about the CPR, and that's item #1 on tomorrow's job list, but if
anyone;s got any other bright ideas, I'd love to hear them. Given the clean state of
everything else, it's unlikely something's got stuck in that, but we'll see.

On another note, the car's in wonderful condition mechanically - but there's one funny thing.
On the very front end tip of the gearbox (manual) there's a cap the size of a bottle top
which is loose but won't come out. It looks as if someone's tried to bond it back in using JB
Weld or similar - can anyone tell me what this thing is and what (if anything) we need to do
about it?

Cheers!

Martin