Re: [DML] Re: unusual speedo failure

speaking of speedometers, I'm been left wondering about the lower speedo
cable... It just seems too long.. I got the 'short' one that was
reccommedned by DMC houston, but I'm still confused about where to put
it.. It's twisted into almost a complete circle to take up the slack in
length.. Is this how its supposed to be?

1537

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:52:59 -0000 jtrealty@xxxx writes:
> This could be a bad idea. Many mechanical systems are designed with a
>
> "fuse" type element in them so that a "disposeable" part fails
> protecting more expensive or delicate parts in the system. This
> plastic cap is probably designed to fail in the event the speedo
> cable
> jams or the angle drive fails. If you had a fuse that keeps blowing
> you wouldn't stick a piece of wire in instead would you? This is
> analogous to what you propose. As often happens people focus on the
> symptom without concern for the root cause or the total design of a
> system. If you look at most speedo drives they are driven by a
> plastic
> gear. This is done for two reasons, they are cheap to change if you
> want different ratios but more importantly they will strip out in
> the
> event of a jam-up.
> David Teitelbaum
> vi 10757
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxx, dherv10@xxxx wrote:
> > Walt and group. What if I had a metal cap made with extra beef /
> metal where
> > the cable installs. I have a machine shop that loves specials.
> They
> just
> > turned me 60 small pullys for the alternators for $5.00 ea. My
> original
> > source had dried up, so it was either turn them or get out of the
> alternator
> > business. Now the other source buy's from me.
> > What does the group think. New metal caps.
> > John Hervey
> > http://www.specialtauto.com/

> address:
> moderator@xxxx