Re: unusual speedo failure

This could be a bad idea. Many mechanical systems are designed with a
"fuse" type element in them so that a "disposeable" part fails
protecting more expensive or delicate parts in the system. This
plastic cap is probably designed to fail in the event the speedo cable
jams or the angle drive fails. If you had a fuse that keeps blowing
you wouldn't stick a piece of wire in instead would you? This is
analogous to what you propose. As often happens people focus on the
symptom without concern for the root cause or the total design of a
system. If you look at most speedo drives they are driven by a plastic
gear. This is done for two reasons, they are cheap to change if you
want different ratios but more importantly they will strip out in the
event of a jam-up.
David Teitelbaum
vi 10757